28 March 2007

A Compensation Analyst?

Companies buy labor. My job is to make sure that we don't overpay for labor, and are thus less profitable, or underpay for labor, and not have enough of the right kind of laborers to get done the things we need to get done.

So, I look at lots of surveys of what other companies are paying their folks to do things. I also look at what we are paying our own people to do those same (ideally) things, and I do lots of math to try and make it all make sense.

What makes this even the tiniest bit interesting is that we are pricing people's time.


It isn't steel that is sure it should be priced at X instead of Y. After all, it's buddy was purchased by General Motors at X, and you both had the same GPA in graduate school. Don't I know how critical steel is to the success of this company?

No, I deal with people's pay - their beer money, their retirement dreams, their egos - and that makes it somewhat interesting.


I hope that I don't have to write much more on Compensation, but you never know.

No comments: